Harland & Wolff HQ and Drawing Offices
The original red brick building is a truly authentic part of Titanic’s story and is where the initial conception of the world’s most famous ship took place. It's located in Titanic Quarter, Queen's Quay in Belfast.
This three-storey office block in sandstone and brick was built in stages between 1900 and 1919. The building was the administration and drawing office centre for the world famous Harland and Wolff shipyard. The offices of Lord Pirrie, Thomas Andrews and Alexander Carlisle were also located in this building.
The oldest sections of the building appear to be the two former Drawing Offices, which retain a cathedral-like atmosphere and are located on the ground floor rear of the building.
Although the building contains a number of other drawing offices, for example the Admiralty Drawing Office, it is the association of the two grand ground floor drawing offices with the production of both the concept design and detailed construction drawings for RMS Titanic and Olympic for which it is best known.
The building was the hub of the Harland and Wolff empire which, at its peak, had over 50,000 employees in the UK - 30,000 in Belfast.
The headquarters building remained in use by Harland and Wolff until October 1989. However, now owned by Titanic Quarter Ltd, it represents the ‘jewel in the crown' in the regeneration of the 185 acre Titanic Quarter development site.
The Drawing Offices and HQ Building is closed to the public while
it undergoes restoration and transformation into a hotel and heritage
space, and is expected to open in the summer of 2017.