The 2021/22 Season ends with another musical postcard – this time a riotous carnival of rhythm from the USA.
Bernstein Symphonic Dances: West Side Story
Copland Clarinet Concerto
Jessie Montgomery Banner
Gershwin Porgy and Bess: A Symphonic Picture
Daniele Rustioni Conductor
Michael Collins Clarinet
Bernstein’s thrilling set of Symphonic Dances are derived from his music for West Side Story. The influences of jazz and Latin run rampant throughout the music, with clever orchestration and a huge percussion section emphasising the rhythms, so it feels balletic even without dancers on stage, while the romantic depiction of Tony and Maria’s fatal romance soar throughout.
As interest in swing and big band jazz waned, bandleader and clarinettist Benny Goodman approached Aaron Copland to commission a Concerto. The result is a sublime opening movement that resonates with all of the same open space that can be heard in the likes of Appalachian Spring, and a linking cadenza that shifts the mood from contemplation to the spiky jazz of the second movement. The ensemble’s energy builds and a Rhapsody in Blue-style glissando for soloist brings the work to a spectacular close. The soloist for this event is the wonderful Michael Collins.
“The ravishing opening pages of the Copeland are given their full quota of swoon and the collective phrasing of the orchestral strings is consistently excellent - again the chamber-music qualities of this performance are a particular delight and Collins proves a strong and committed advocate for the work” International Record Review
The programme closes with Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess: A Symphonic Picture, which cuts a glorious symphonic cross-section through this American classic. The perfect concert to end the season and lead you into Summertime!
All ticket holders aged 18 and over, will need to provide evidence of their Covid status through one of the following:
- Proof of full vaccination (using the COVIDCert NI app to display a COVID Passport that will be scanned using the COVIDCert Verifier App OR using a paper certificate obtained from the HSCNI OR using your COVID-19 Vaccination Card and photographic ID matching the name on your vaccination card)
- Proof of a negative lateral flow test taken on the same day, or one day before, the event. Individuals are required to report their negative test result in advance to obtain digital proof by email and/or text message
- Proof of natural immunity shown by a positive PCR test result for COVID-19, taken in the previous 30 to 180 days
- Proof of participation in a clinical trial for vaccination shown by confirmation in writing of participation (current or past) in a clinical trial for vaccination against coronavirus from the organiser of that trial
- Proof of medical exemption from vaccination shown by evidence provided through the Northern Ireland Covid Certification process
This evidence must be accompanied by photographic ID. All visitors will be required to complete a COVID Status Check on arrival at the venue.
- Admission £10 - £35