Guided tours of the beautiful Ards Peninsula, Co. Down. Enjoy a waters’ edge experience either on foot or by coach, off the beaten track.
The area has a rich Christian heritage with numerous abbeys, churches, ancient graveyards and holy wells. There are many castles dotted around Strangford Lough and ancient sites of historical interest in the peninsula.
The area is a must go to destination for nature lovers. It is renowned for its’ diversity of birdlife and rare plant species. The Outer Ards coastline is an Area of Special Scientific Interest (ASSI) and the area around Strangford Lough is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. A popular attraction in Portaferry is the aquarium and seal sanctuary.
Immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of nature as you listen to fascinating stories of the people and the place, and learn what gives this area its’ unique character. You will hear engaging stories of shipwrecks, smugglers, saints and scholars, rebels and much more.
Walking Tours offered
- Walking tour of Portaferry - 1hour 30minutes
- Kearney Coastal Walk and Quintin Castle (featured in Game of Thrones) - 1hour 30minutes
- Cloughey village and Kirkistown Castle - 1hour 30minutes
- Strangford Lough and Ballyhenry Island - 1hour 30minutes
- Slanes Graveyard and souterrain 1 hour with option of additional - 30 mimutes
- The walks are suitable for people of all fitness levels and are conducted at a leisurely pace
- Longer guided walks available by arrangement and other options are also available.
All walks led by Brigid Watson, a local, fully qualified tour guide. For more information go to www.ardspeninsulatours.com.
1.5 hour guided walk - £15
1 hour guided walk - £10
Coach Tour - 9.30am - 4.30pm £30 (subject to min 10 people)
Taxi Tour - Depends on number of people and duration of tour.
- 38 Ardminnan Rd
- BT22 1QJ
Top Reasons To Visit
- Stunningly beautiful landscapes and award-winning beaches less than 15 miles from Belfast
- Rich Christian heritage with many ancient sites including abbeys, churches and holy wells
- Strangford Lough is a marine nature reserve with an amazing diversity of flora and fauna
- Fascinating social and maritime history over many centuries of settlement
- Picturesque villages dotted along the coastline, great variety of cafes, restaurants, pubs
Walking tours programme 2019
- 10.30am-2pm: Kearney National Trust Village and Quintin Castle
- 1-2.30pm: Cloughey and Kirkistown Castle
- 3-4pm: Slanes Graveyard and Souterrain
- 11.30-1pm: tour of Portaferry
- 2.-3pm: Strangford Lough and Ballyhenry Island
Minimum group size two adults
Pre-booking essential. Walks available on other days by arrangement.
Highlights and Hidden gems in the Ards Peninsula on 18 May 2019. See website for details: www.ardspeninsulatours.com.
Taxi tours for couples or small groups.
To book a tour telephone Brigid Watson +44(0)7763 898074 or email email@example.com. Pre-booking essential. Price: £40 (includes tea/coffee/scone and booking fee).