The Crescent Arts Centre is a vibrant community arts centre and cultural hub in the heart of south Belfast, which provides opportunities for people to meet, be inspired, experience and participate in a wide range of art forms.
It is a place where everyone is welcome and where they can experience the power of the arts and develop their creativity as we lead the way in artistic development and entertainment.
The main activities that take place in the Crescent include:
- Each week there is a whole host of live events. From immersive theatre to live music and comedy, to dance performances, film screenings, book launches and cabaret shows, this beautiful building offers a diverse platform for live events.
- The Crescent offers a diverse learning programme to appeal to varying tastes. Each week they run 200 classes and workshops, which are programmed into three yearly programmes. The wide-ranging artistic programme spreads across all art forms including dance, wellbeing, drama, music, visual arts, crafts, creative writing and reading, languages, culture, children and family. This wide offering has been an important factor throughout the centre’s existence as we encourage everyone to try something new.
- Working closely with local authorities, agencies and organisations, the Crescent provides an inspiring community programme that reaches out to a wide range of participants via the Outreach and Education programme. They encourage and facilitate the participation in and appreciation of artistic activities by people from all sectors of society that who may not normally have the opportunity to participate in such activities.
- The Crescent is home to two key festivals a year; the Belfast Book Festival and CityDance and they provide office space in The Crescent Hub; an appropriate cultural environment for art organisations to flourish.
- Last year, more than 5,000 people engaged in the Crescent’s cultural programmes, half of whom were active participants in creative courses and one-off workshops, the other half attended live events. That does not include those who participated in outreach programmes, came to non-ticketed activities, or used the café.
There’s a lot to explore and enjoy inside the Crescent including:
- A theatre space (The Cube)
- Two dance studios
- A visual art space
- A music room
- An art studio
- Five workshop spaces
- A café
- Eight permanent spaces hosting resident arts organisations
Top Reasons To Visit
- Very reasonable ticket prices, and events to suit all tastes
- Workshops for all ages e.g. authentic Irish Basket Making
- Free exhibitions & permanent art installation through centre
- Warm and welcoming café with friendly, helpful staff
- Beautiful, historic building - open late most evenings