- What's On Homepage
- Art & Exhibitions
- Children's Events
- Food & Drink
- Free Events
- History & Heritage
- Learning Experiences
- Lectures & Talks
- Markets & Fairs
- Music & Concerts
- Nature & Wildlife
- Pubs & Clubs
- Shows & Displays
- Belfast International Arts Festival
Take a 'No Secrets' tour of the historic Freemasons' Hall in Arthur Square, the hub for the Masonic tradition in Belfast.
On 24 June 1868, streets in Belfast were closed for a procession from the Ulster Hall to Arthur Square. An event of great pomp and circumstance, balconies were constructed to provide the ladies of Belfast with a clear view, and around 10,000 people gathered to watch Sir Charles Lanyon, renowned architect and Freemason, lay the foundation stone of the Freemasons’ Hall. Completed and opened in early 1870, Freemasons’ Hall has since been a central location for the Masonic tradition in Northern Ireland.
Refurbished in 2007 the building remains an active hub for Masonic practice, and is now open to those interested in 19th Century architecture, the history of Belfast and, not least, to the culturally curious.
Throughout its corridors and rooms, Masonic artefacts and features tell the story of the building and of the Masonic tradition itself in a clear and open manner. There are 'No Secrets' – rather a frank and illuminating discourse on the relevance of Freemasonary in both a historical and contemporary context.
- 19 Arthur Hall
- BT1 4FF
The Lost Luke - The original John Luke 'Building of Solomon’s Temple' Mural
Since 2018 Freemasons’ Hall has also been the home to a unique preparatory artwork by one of Belfast’s most celebrated artists – John Luke. The original John Luke ‘Building of Solomon’s Temple’ mural is on permanent exhibition, and this finely detailed presentation offers an insight to Luke’s working practice and his rarely discussed Masonic connections.
Luke was commissioned in the spring of 1955 to execute a mural depicting ‘Solomon Building the Temple’ in The Provincial Masonic Hall Rosemary Street. Three-foot long and seven-foot high, it was completed in November 1956 and the artist was paid £375. In 2000 the mural was appraised at £3 million.
An unknown or lost John Luke preparatory work, 14.5 inches long and 3.25 inches high, which was to be scaled and replicated to adorn the Provincial Grand Lodge Room, was listed at a public auction in 2002. Purchased for £2867 and subsequently valued at £8000, it is now exhibited in the Wilson Room, Freemasons’ Hall.
The artwork is of particular interest for its significant value as an original work by John Luke, and for a number of variations it displays from the completed mural.