Ever wanted to learn the ancient craft of coppersmithing? Come amaze yourself with your creativity and bring home your own unique copper jewellery!
The various stages are explored and explained, leaving you free to create. As you use fire to warm the metal, water to cool it, your hands to mould and shape it, then a variety of chisels, hammers and files to shape, texture and polish it, you will feel the personality of this ancient organic material emerging.
Lake & Oak run weekly classes at Eden Pottery on Sundays and Mondays. Contact them to find out the schedule here.
Top Reasons To Visit
- Top notch coffee/tea and homemade cake slice/traybake of your choice! We will feed you to keep your energy levels high.
- Coppersmithing is beginner friendly! No experience is needed.
- You’ll get to bring home your handmade copper jewellery/metalwork
- Coppersmithing is good for managing your stress levels!
- Learn the ancient craft of coppersmithing from Matthew, who is a local.
- £35 for half day class (3 hours)
- £60 for full day class (6 hours)
To secure your booking, full payment should be made ahead of the classes with the understanding that the booking can be moved to another date if you can’t make it on the day due to COVID-19 or other reasons.
History of Coppersmithing
Working with copper is something humans first began to do sometime between 10,000BC and 5000BC. Being the only metal known for 5 millenia, humans learned to work copper into jewellery, tools, and weapons, before they discovered how to add tin to create bronze. In learning this ancient craft, you will come to understand the pleasure of taking a waste material, in this case old copper pipes, and shaping it into something worth keeping, protecting and passing on.