Nestled in the heart of Belfast Harbour Estate, Belfast Window on Wildlife is home to birds and wildlife from all over the world.
As you look out over the reserve towards the famous Cave Hill, you might spot the resident konik ponies which graze the reserve to help keep it in the best condition for wintering wildfowl and ground-nesting birds like lapwings.
Belfast WOW has two hides which offer great views of nature. They are constructed from shipping containers to tie in with their industrial surroundings.
The reserve also boasts a sand martin bank and a swift tower. It's hoped that they will attract these threatened species and provide cosy hideaways for them to nest in when they arrive on these shores in spring, having travelled thousands of miles from Africa.
With lots of indoor space, including a community room and refreshment area, the visitor centre is full of interactive interpretation for all the family, including information on the rich history of the harbour and the formation of the reserve back in 1998.
Top Reasons To Visit
- It's an amazing wildlife spectacle in the heart of Belfast
- Friendly staff will help you identify what you see
- Take time to chill out with nature in the heart of the city
- See huge numbers of wildfowl that come to spend the winter
- Visit in the summer to see terns breed and raise their young
- RSPB members: Free
- Adult: £3, Concession: £1.50
- Student: £2, Children under 5: Free
Festive Holiday Opening Hours
- Christmas Eve: Visitor centre open 10am – 3pm. Bird hides open dawn to dusk
- Christmas Day – 29 December: Visitor centre closed. Bird hides open dawn to dusk
- New Year’s Eve: Visitor centre open 10am – 3pm. Bird hides open dawn to dusk
- New Year’s Day: visitor centre open 10am – 4pm. Bird hides open dawn to dusk