Belfast Castle is located in the Cave Hill area of north Belfast. It was built in the 1860s and is one of the city's most famous landmarks.
Its most famous feature, known locally as Napoleon's Nose, is believed to have been the inspiration for Jonathan Swift's novel, Gulliver's Travels.
The park is home to the Cave Hill Adventurous Playground, archaeological sites, Visitor Information Area in Belfast Castle, ecotrails, walking and orienteering routes.
The estate contains landscaped gardens and mature mixed woodland and offers superb views of the city from a variety of vantage points. It is home to many different species of wildlife, including long-eared owls, sparrowhawks and Belfast's rarest plant; the town hall clock.
Belfast Castle has a fantastic restaurant with varied menus and something to suit everyone. From lunch in the Cellar Restaurant to morning coffee with delicious scones and patisserie items in the Tavern. All catering is provided by the local family run business French Village who are well renowned for their food quality and innovation across Belfast and beyond.
Top Reasons To Visit
- Belfast Castle is one of the city's most famous landmarks
- Breathtaking views of the city from Cave Hill Country Park
- The award-winning Cave Hill Adventurous Playground
- Learn about the history at Cave Hill Visitor Centre
- Shop in the Victorian-style Castle Antiques area
Cave Hill Visitor Centre
Cave Hill Visitor Centre is located in the basement of Belfast Castle. This fascinating and intriguing museum is open:
- Monday to Sunday: 9am – 6pm
Admission is free.
The Castle Tavern is open for snacks and hot drinks and is open:
- Wednesday to Friday 10am – 4pm
- Saturday & Sunday 10am – 5pm
The Cellar Restaurant within the castle is open every day serving snacks, light refreshments and lunch as well as a traditional Sunday lunch. The restaurant is open for dinner until 9pm on Thursday to Saturday evenings.
- Monday: 12 noon – 4.30pm
- Tuesday: 12 noon – 4.30pm
- Wednesday: 12 noon – 4.30pm
- Thursday: 12 noon – 8.30pm
- Friday: 12 noon – 8.30pm
- Sunday 12 noon – 8.30pm
The Cellar Restaurant is currently closed to the public.