Experience a taste of what life was like for a young George by staying in the George Best House
The 3 bedroom terraced house at 16 Burren Way in East Belfast can sleep maximum 5 guests. The property has been NITB approved and is available for holiday rental.
Although some modernisation by the Best family took place over the years the house still retains many of the original features that would have been in the house when it was first built in 1949. George's bedroom has been recreated as to how it would have looked in the 1950s with items of memorabilia from his childhood including a Wolverhampton Wanderers football kit- the team that he supported growing up. Dotted around the house are family portraits, images from his football career and old school reports and letters kindly donated by the Best family.
The George Best House is a five minute walk from Ravenhill, the home of Ulster Rugby and a 10 minute taxi journey to Odyssey Arena, home of the Belfast Giants, making it ideal accommodation for sports fans visiting the city.
A three minute walk will take you to a convenience store containing a post office, fish and chip shop, chemist, butchers and newsagent. There is also a launderette located in the area.
George lived there until he moved to Manchester to play for Manchester United Football Club. At the height of George's career the house was often under siege by the press and the family had to sit with the blinds closed on many occasions to try to get some privacy. Often, the press would camp out all night to get a glimpse or try to get the children to give them some news.
George came home to Burren Way throughout his footballing career and beyond. It was from this house, at his own request, that George's final journey took place on December 2005, to be laid to rest beside his mother in Roselawn Cemetery. The garden and hedges around the house were covered in flowers, shirts, cups, scarves, flags and pictures, left there by his fans from all over the world.
The house offers:
- Lounge with dining area – flat screen TV with Freeview channels
- Fitted Kitchen – fridge, freezer, cooker, washing machine
- Front and rear gardens
- Upstairs – sleeps maximum of 5 adults
- 3 bedrooms – 1 double, 1 twin and 1 Single (George's room)
- Bathroom – power shower, separate WC
- Gas central heating
- Internet access – free Wi-Fi
- All bed linen, bath and hand towels supplied
- Tea, coffee, sugar and milk sachets provided on arrival
Check out time 10am
(Times can be flexible with prior arrangement)
- 16 Burren Way
- BT6 0DW
Top Reasons To Visit
- Stay in the childhood bedroom of George Best in Belfast
- Uncover the places that influenced a young George Best
- Stay near to Ravenhill Stadium, home of Ulster Rugby
- Affordable accommodation for up to 5 people