- What's On Homepage
- Art & Exhibitions
- Children's Events
- Food & Drink
- Free Events
- History & Heritage
- Learning Experiences
- Lectures & Talks
- Markets & Fairs
- Music & Concerts
- Nature & Wildlife
- New Year's Eve
- Pubs & Clubs
- Shows & Displays
See the gothic and classical collide at Castle Ward, an eccentric 18th century mansion resting on a rolling hillside.
Looking out over the tranquil waters of Strangford Lough in County Down, this unique 18th century mansion is famed for its mixture of architectural styles.
Walk or cycle along the Lough trail or through the sheltered woodlands and spot butterflies, rabbits, ducks and swans. Stroll through the sunken garden and see vivid reds, yellows, greens and pinks from flowers and subtropical plants in the Victorian Sunken Garden.
You can also head out on the Lough in a canoe, climb and abseil the cliffs, and build a raft with Clearsky Adventure.
Round the day off with a treat in the tearoom or browse the gift shop and pick up a bargain at the second-hand bookshop.
- Castle Ward
- BT30 7BA
Top Reasons To Visit
- Historic mansion
- 22 kilometres of multi-use trails
- Georgian farmyard and loughshore
- Victorian sunken garden
- Game of Thrones film locations
- The farmyard complete with ducks, chickens and pygmy goats
- The 36km of trails that loop throughout the estate – rent bikes from the Clearsky Adventure Centre and get exploring
- Visit the Barn for children’s crafts, play-room and lots of ride-on tractors
- Visit the artist’s studios and see the resident makers at work
- Check out the ‘Secret Nature Shore Trail’ for a mile-long stretch of activities and nature to discover
HBO's Game of Thrones at Castle Ward
Step into a fantasy world of castles and dragons as you explore the Georgian farmyard and the Lough shore, film locations for the smash hit television series Game of Thrones. Castle Ward’s historic farmyard was featured as the location of Winterfell for much of season one.
It’s where you’ll find the Whispering Wood and key scenes including Robb Stark’s Camp, the Baelor battle and when Brienne confronts the Stark men. Visit to discover Winterfell for yourself, and join in with Winterfell Tours to get the full Westeros experience. Visit www.nationaltrust.org.uk/castle-ward/features/game-of-thrones-at-castle-ward for all the information.